Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What's the deal with chopsticks?













I think Jerry Seinfeld expressed it very well:

"I’ll tell you what I like about Chinese people. They’re hanging in there with the chopsticks, aren’t they? You know they’ve seen the fork. They’re staying with the sticks. I don’t know how they missed it. Chinese farmer gets up, works in the field with a shovel all day. Shovel. Spoon. Come on. You’re not plowing 40 acres with a couple of pool cues!"

Indeed.

What is the deal with chopsticks? If you've got a bowl full of food, is it not easier to scoop it out on a fork or spoon? A shovel is more appropriate for digging a ditch than is a pair of pool cues.

The wooden ones are contributing to deforestation, especially when you consider that well over one fifth of the world uses them on a daily basis. The plastic ones are devoid of any traction whatsoever, and are nearly useless when it comes to picking up your more slippery morsels.

Here's a pet peeve of mine: people who insist on sticking with the sticks when eating their leftovers for lunch, regardless of where they are and whether they are alone. I had this buddy back in school a few years ago who brought his fried rice leftovers to the student lounge, and proceeded to pull out his disposable chopsticks. I said, "Hey buddy, it's just you and me here; I won't care if you use a fork or a spoon. You know as well as I do that it's easier." He looked at me like I was from Mars and replied, "But it's Chinese food!". I didn't bother pursuing the argument, but I enjoyed watching him struggle with balancing the rice on the sticks. It took him about fifteen minutes to eat what he could have scarfed down in about two with a spoon.

So what -are- they good for? Sushi. What else? Not sure. The reason why I say they are good for sushi is that a unique precision is required to pick up the bite-sized morsels. The unique precision can be described as a "tong-like" grip...

But now I'm thinking "Why not just use tongs?!" How about using little tongs instead of chopsticks? The closed end of tongs ensures that they are fool proof, and your average gweilo can use them without practise. How about these special tongs have a rough grip on it's business end, so that the slippery morsels never fall? Genius! I should market these things. If I sell them to one fifth of the world's population, I'll be rich!

No comments: